Greenvale Getaway Camp 2017
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
A trained, qualified staff supervises your child in a wide variety of daily camp activities. This year we will be adding a new activity station to our program- Brain Games. Brain Games is being designed as a summer learning experience to continue your child's education over the summer while having fun. The other daily activities include crafts, games, sports, nature activities, performing arts, our weekly theme station, camp wide activities and just plain fun. This camp is for children who are 5 through age 14.
The camp will open on July 3 and run for six weeks. Week 1 is shortened to four days because of the Fourth of July Holiday. Each week will have a different weekly theme, making each week just a little bit different.
Sample Daily Schedule
Here is a sample schedule of a typical day in camp. We divide the campers into six groups by age. Each group has its own rotation to follow so this schedule will vary.
9:00 Arrival at camp, groups gather, attendance taken, announcements made
9:20 Brain Games Station
10:00 Theater Station
10:45 Break and Snack Time
11:25 Sports and Games Station
12:45 Arts and Crafts Station
1:25 Weekly Theme Station
2:05 Science and Nature Station
2:45 Group Time
3:10 Camp Wide Activities
The campers are well supervised in a busy, well planned, program. Each group has a minimum of two staff members to supervise them. At each station an additional program specialist leads the group through the planned program.
The cost for residents to attend the camp is $105 per week if you register (and fully pay) before May 1st. After May 1st it is $115 per week. The fee for the first week is $84 ($92 after May 1) because it is shorter. The Extended Hours Program is $30 per week additional.
Non-Town of Poughkeepsie Residents are welcome to participate. The non-resident fee $ 145 per week ($119 for the first week).
Registration opens on March 1 and closes when the capacity of the camp is reached. This year we are allowing registration with a $25 deposit fee. The full fee must be paid two weeks before the start of camp.
Once the capacity of the camp is reached, a waiting list will be established. If you are on the waiting list, you will be notified if a space becomes available for you.
Counselor In Training Program
Our Counselor-In-Training Program is undergoing some changes this summer.
State Health Department regulations now require CITs to be 15 or 16 years old. We have extended the age campers may attend camp to 14.
CITs participate in a three part program that includes:
• Job Skills Education: Filling out an application, participating in an interview
• Leadership Skills Training: Basic leadership and camp staff skills are taught as part of the mandatory Orientation Session June 26-30.
• Skill Application: Volunteer for a minimum of three weeks to assist the camp staff at our Day Camp.
A link to the CIT application is found on the website homepage.
All Campers are required to have the forms from the 2017 Camp Welcome Packet
completed and returned to the Recreation Department Office by June 1st.
- Week 1 - Wacky Week: A week where nothing is how it should be. Everything is backwards, mixed up, or just plain silly.
- Week 2 - Treasure Island: Search for the gold left behind at Camp Greenvale and learn how to be a true pirate!
- Week 3 - Superhero: Celebrate those that we look up to. They may wear a cape or be someone you see everyday.
- Week 4 - Around the World: Travel with us around the world! Don't forget your passport!
- Week 5 - Color Wars Games: Join our week long tournament where each team build up points. It all leads up to the final competition each day.
- Week 6 - Water Week: Camp is the coolest place in town during water week! Come get wet and wild at Camp Greenvale.