2019 Greenvale Getaway Camp
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
Your child will have the time of their life at our summer day camp. We have offer a quality, structured program at an affordable price. Daily activities include: Crafts, Games, Sports, Brain Games, Science and Nature Activities, Performing Arts, Weekly Theme, and Camp Wide Activities.
Greenvale Getaway Camp is an outdoor day camp, for campers from ages 4 1/2 -13 held at Greenvale Park (2260 New Hackensack Rd., Route 376). We also have a nearby indoor location for rainy days.
The camp will open on July 1 and run for seven weeks. To accommodate your family's plans, you can register for all the weeks or just the ones you would like. Each week will have a different weekly theme, making each just a little bit different. Week 1 is shortened to four days because of the Fourth of July Holiday.
Our normal camp hours are from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Extended hours care is available from 7:30 AM to 9:00 AM and from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM.
Our staff is carefully selected, trained and motivated to offer the best camp experience for your child. Many return several summers. The Staff to Camper ratio at 1:5 is one of the best in the area.
Sample Daily Schedule
Here is a sample of a typical day in camp. We divide the campers into six groups by ages in camp for that week. Each group has its own rotation to follow so this schedule will vary.
7:30-9:00 Extended Hours Care is available
9:00 Arrival at camp, groups gather, attendance taken, announcements made
9:20 Brain Games Station
10:00 Performing Arts Station
10:45 Break and Snack Time
11:25 Sports and Games Station
12:05 Arts and Crafts Station
1:25 Weekly Theme Station
2:05 Science and Nature Station
2:45 Group Time
3:10 Camp Wide Activity
4:00-6:00 Extended Hours Care is available
Senior Camper Program
This year we are instituting a "Senior Camper" program for campers who are 12 1/2 to 14 years old . The program will include some of our basic program areas (Sports, Science, Weekly Theme and Brain Games) and add in activities geared towards learning and practicing other skills and activities. This will include activities like job preparation skills, money management skills and basic first aid/CPR. Participants will also work as "buddies" with our younger campers for part of the day.
- Week 1 Wacky Week
- Week 2 Under the Sea (Water Week)
- Week 3 Greenvale Has Got Talent (Hollywood Week)
- Week 4 Time Travelers
- Week 5 Color Wars
- Week 6 Safari (World Travel Week)
- Week 7 Amazing Race (Camp Olympics)
- The cost for residents of the Town of Poughkeepsie to attend the camp is $125 per week. The fee for the first week is $100 because it is shorter. The Extended Hours Program is $30 per week additional.
- Non-Town of Poughkeepsie residents are welcome to participate. The non-resident fee is $155 per week ($130 for the first week).
- Registration opens on March 1. It closes for a particular week when capacity for that week is full or on the Thursday of the prior week (whichever comes first).
- Once the capacity of the camp is reached, a waiting list will be established. If you are on the waiting list, you will be notified if a space becomes available to you.
- This year we are allowing registration with a $25 deposit fee for each week you sign up for. The full fee must be paid two weeks before camp.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Please review the Town's Cancellation and Refund Policy. It can be found under the LINKS section below.
Health Department Permit Notice
Greenvale Getaway Camp operates under permit issued by the Dutchess County Health Department. The camp is required to be inspected twice yearly; the inspection reports and required plans are filed at the Dutchess County Health Department , 85 Civic Center Plaza, Suite 106, Poughkeepsie, NY 2601 and are available for review.
Rainy Day Plan
Greenvale Getaway Camp has arranged to hold the camp inside in case of inclement weather. The rainy day plan will work this way:
• We will be using either Hagan Elementary School (42 Hagan Drive) or Nassau School (7 Nassau Road), depending on which one is available that week.
• The decision to use the Rainy Day Plan is not automatic. It will be a JUDGEMENT CALL based on the National Weather Service forecast for the Town of Poughkeepsie.
• To allow for adequate notification, a decision will be made on whether we will use the indoor location late in the afternoon on the prior day.
• Campers will be notified by blast email sent to the email address on record for the family. It will also be posted on the Recreation Department Website (www.PoughkeepsieTownRec.com); Cancellations.com; and with a sign posted at the camp entrance.
• Once the decision to move inside or not move inside has been made, it will not be changed. Campers will not be moved to the indoor location during the camp day. If we are at camp and it begins to rain we will stay at the camp using the pavilions and tents.
• The Extended Hours Program will be available at the indoor location.
Additional Forms and Files: